April 21, 2015
This episode Dan Hogan & Sally Ann join us to celebrate the perms in space! Starcrash is a 1978 low budget wannabe Star Wars film featuring Christopher Plummer and The Hoff. What more could you ask for? Set your computer wave to monitor our friction trail and prepare yourself for some robot chauvinism.
Watch the film (at your own risk):
- The bad news, a classic of such vintage is not really found streaming at the moment.
- There is a Blu-ray at Amazon though.
- You may also find it on Youtube. For how long? Only Akton knows.
On with the teardown!
- Paul does the first Elle impression, while Chris does a horrible Church Lady.
- The sets remind Sally of the Farragut Film Studios that offer a tour of their Star Trek sets once a year.
- 70s films love public address systems.
- Our first perm, Akton played by Marjoe Gortner is also in one of Dan’s favorite bad movies, Food of the Gods.
- According to Paul’s research on the Starcrash imdb page all the dialogue in the entire film was replaced. Is this why everyone is so cheery?
- It turns out Elle’s voice, Hamilton Camp is also the voice of Gizmoduck from Darkwing Duck. He did voices for The Tick and many more shows.
- Chris wonders if Elle is short for Lolipop? He is an Android.
- Christopher Plummer IS THE EMPEROR.
- Dan tells us, “It’s not the Force.” So what are Akton’s powers? Limitless? Is it all about the full body perm?
- Sally & Paul think Akton could be a Time Lord.
- Ele beaten like the fax machine in Office Space.
- Is that Zardoz shooting lasers at the cavemen?
- Akton not using The Force, is also not using a lightsaber. Maybe?
- Dan thinks more movies should feature cavemen beatings. Unless of course it’s the friendly Captain Caveman.
- Best answer to how main characters inexplicably survive “We’re not like most people.”
- Why is Christopher Plummer in this film? His answer, Rome.
- Dan relates similar stories about why actors do bad films from Elijah Wood and Bruce Campbell.
- How Star Wars Episode IV should have ended.
- Sally was very excited to see The Hoff in “his pretty lady makeup.”
- Sally & Dan think this movie feels much longer than it is. Yet, they both felt that it was so bad it was good. Chris & Paul agree.
- Dan recommends Galaxy of Terror and Chris says you should check our Forbidden Planet.
- Sally needs more recommendations! Paul suggests Logan’s Run while Chris & Dan praise Attack The Block.
- How about Moon, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, Tron and The American Astronaut.
Thanks so much to our friends Sally Ann and Dan Hogan for joining us. Be sure to check out ShopSallyAnn.com and Clattertron.com respectively. Of course, thank you for listening.