June 7, 2015
Two words, Kevin Kostner. Now you know why we’ve watched this film. Armin Mortazavi, one of the awesome people we met during the Montreal Sauce podcast live from CDM graciously joined us to experience Waterworld.
Where can you watch it? (Or, avoid it?)
Or stream it:
Here’s our notes, although be warned, they got wet and were hard to transcribe:
- Water is expensive. In 1995, this was the most expensive movie to date until Titanic was made two years later.
- Batman Forever made more money than this film at the box office. Yet, Waterworld finished above great films like Braveheart and Outbreak.
- There’s a live Waterworld show at Universal Studios theme park? According to Wikipedia it was award winning and ran for 10 years.
- This film is bold in its world-building, but cartoonish like a USA Up All Night movie, something like Hell Comes To Frogtown.
- Armin drops science on us. Why not convert sea water to drinking water instead of urine? Who does Kostner think he is, Chris Hadfield?
- Chris calls the film Von Dutch Punk.
- There’s lots of lipstick in the dystopian future for Jeanne Tripplehorn.
- Michael Jeter speaks his own strange language in this film, much like in The Green Mile.
- Is it recycling or Soylent Green?
- Dennis Hopper is our satirical villain and sort of fun.
- Baymax in Big Hero 6 has more dialogue than Kostner in this film.
- When Chris berates the little girl’s drawing, Arturo in the chatroom chimes in to ask, “How many opportunities does one get to draw on a Waterworld.
- Armin says Kostner is taking Tripplehorn to Futurama’s old New York.
- The guys are confused that people don’t remember dry land but do remember Captain Joseph Hazelwood.
- Kostner does the rear axle movie trick to an airplane?
- Paul wonders if Waterworld is the sequel to Zardoz.
- Armin’s review, “I don’t even know why I am watching this?”
- Chris says this is no Space Truckers which is not saying much.
- Lots of fun lore included on the imdb page and Wikipedia page for this film.
- Armin suggests that you watch Blade Runner instead of this film.
- If you see have seen Waterworld, Paul suggests that you watch Armageddon and pretend Michael Bay directed both. If you haven’t seen it, watch Splash instead.
- Chris suggests Damnation Alley for your post apocalyptic needs or The Incredible Mr. Limpet if you’re into fish-people.
Thanks to Armin for joining the guys. Check out his “cartoon endeavors” at biasedcat.blogspot.ca. Hopefully, we can get Armin back if he wasn’t scared away by the Kostner film.
Support Film Frown on Patreon