January 1, 2016
You see that title up there? That’s right, we watched Son of the Mask to celebrate Halloween. Armin joined the guys to review this legendary bad film. Well, he joined Chris. In a Film Frown first, Paul could not finish the movie. How’s that for a review? Dare to watch it?
And now the review:
- Chris & Paul claim to be part of the Q Continuum. Showing guests bad movies is the way they test humanity.
- Production designer on this film did a great job. Makes sense, his other films: Alien, Superman, The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and An American Werewolf in London.
- This cinema stinker includes a decent cast of Bob Hoskins, Alan Cumming, Traylor Howard and Steven Wright.
- This film was nominated for a bunch of Razzies. Unfortunately, it lost to Jenny McCarthy’s Dirty Love.
- Remember The Chevy Chase Show? Of course not.
- Son of the Mask was a sequel to an 11 year old movie. In between, there was an animated series.
- Ben Stein is the only actor to be in both movies and the above cartoon.
- Who is the better Loki? Alan Cumming or Tom Hiddleston?
- The Adventures of Milo and Otis.
- Paul thinks Drew Carey would have been a better Jim Carrey replacement than Jamie Kennedy.
- All the action in this film is borrowed from the cartoons of Tex Avery.
- Jamie Kennedy was destroyed in reviews of this film. His coping mechanism was making the documentary Heckler.
- Armin’s take, Kennedy is no Carrey. The metaphor used, “Simba shouldn’t try to be Mufasa” via The Lion King.
- Kal Penn is also in this film.
- Is Odin renting space from Morgan Le Fay who was in a recent film we reviewed, Doctor Strange?
- Jamie Kennedy’s Mask is less of a party animal than Spuds MacKenzie.
- Nine Inch Nails performing Hurt vs. Johnny Cash’s version. In other words, make it your own.
- Hulk sperm from the Mask?
- The baby learns his hi-jinx from watching Looney Tunes on TV. Is that still on?
- Also the baby seems to know a pretty famous Exorcist scene.
- An archive of the Entertainment Magazine Son of the Mask article.
- Armin likens the film to Madagascar. There’s lots going on and really the Penguins could have their own film.
- The insane Mask hot rod.
- Roger Ebert’s review of the film.
- Why does the baby only use his powers when Jamie Kennedy around? Tribute to Michigan J. Frog?
- Paul wants a drama version where they lock this kid up like E.T.
Thanks to Armin for joining us to watch this film (not so much for choosing it). Thanks to you for listening and reading this synopsis. Laters.